Skip to main content

Shakespeare on Film

Ever since I was little I have watched/read/studied Shakespeare in some form or another; I've been really lucky that way. I remember whenever I was ill off primary school I'd watch the animated Shakespeare plays on CBBC. Secondary school also presented Shakespeare to me in film-form and in written form. It was finally my friend Jasmine, when we were both twelve or thirteen, who took me to see a Shakespeare play.

I had the absolute pleasure of watching Sprite Productions perform Much Ado at Ripley Castle for Jasmine's birthday present. We proceeded to go the year after to see Twelfth Night - which included much hilarity due to the fact it was tipping it down (being summer in Yorkshire and all) and the opening song "the rain it raineth every day". I will never forget the magic seeing those productions created - the inspiration they gave me.

In the eighteen years I have been alive I have seen roughly six Shakespeare plays performed, three times in a theater, once in a school and twice at Ripley Castle. Despite the varying locations these performances, played by actors ranging from 9-(about)70 years of age, every single time I have been left awe-inspired.

Having just finished watching The Tempest (2010, Helen Mirren) I have been left feeling all fuzzy and lovely from the epic-ness of the writing, and a little empty because something was simply missing. The acting was great, the CGI was fantastic, the lines were delivered well BUT I don't like Shakespeare on film.

There are two main reasons for this: 1) there's no audience/actor connection. Having sat through Reduced Shakespeare by the Reduced Shakespeare Company (RSC, get it?) and having felt the whole room swell with [insert word I'm grasping for here but can't due to indescribable-ness] when one of the actors did a monologue, to have someone perform a monologue on my computer screen just is not the same! Dame Helen Mirren is fantastic - there's no denying that - but there was no swell of 'somethingness' that you get when you're in a theatre.

My other reason is this: 2) minimal, if that, details are left to the imagination. Ariel's characterisation, his costume, his entire being was fantastic to watch but there was no... magic. There was no moments of 'I know this isn't actually happening, but let's pretend it is anyway *wink-wink-nudge-nudge*' / borderline in-joke between the audience/actors. It just lacked that magic that Shakespeare is able to create through his dialogue because it was all laid out for you in black and white... or CGI in this case.

We looked at this sort of thing in my philosophy class. We watched various filmed performances of the famous "to be or not to be" soliloquy and David Tennant's performance, for me, was by far the best because it was in his face - not his physical movements - that you could imagine what Hamlet is going through. Similarly, Macbeth sees a dagger, Lady Macbeth sees blood on her hands - I've seen countless filmed adaptations that make these elements (that I believe are so crucially metaphorical and left to the imagination & actor's ability to deliver) a visible aspect of the production. Where's the fun in that?

It's not this adaptation of The Tempest that I'm picking on - I did enjoy the film - however, I do believe that Shakespeare's dialogue holds so much more power on the stage, as it was originally intended to be confined to.

-- side note: it is the night before I get my A level results and I'm kind of freaking out so this is how I'm calming myself down. I know. Sorry for the rabbly-ness of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Teens don't read"

Earlier today Maureen Johnson pointed out that the view of "teens don't read" in the UK is deeply entrenched (which is a word that I now love  and had never heard before). As a teenager in the UK, the stigma around reading seems to be - to me - it's "uncool", it's "geeky", there "aren't any good books out there". I think the fact that a lot of teenagers in British schools are exposed to older literature or, perhaps, not that popular literature in lessons and forced into over-analysing and spending countless hours on 'what the author meant'. A point that was raised in this twitter discussion was that people didn't want to be seen reading, or didn't want to be seen reading certain books. It's made me realise that I never   ever ever  see people reading in the older years in my school ( ever ). Perhaps the odd year 7 (12 year old) or year 8 (13 year old) will read, but - from experience - they will probably be

To A Baby

Dear Baby in a cafe, You are growing up in an incredible age. The age of the unknown. We are balancing on a thin line that could topple either way and the future, Baby, is unknown. For the moments that our eyes meet I see a world in your mind. The cogs whirring and your mind constantly processing everything. You see so much and understand so little; but that is changing. It is funny to think of all the new things you're currently learning about. Learning to eat, to drink, to speak, to listen and learn. The world which you observe, Baby, is wonderful. I cannot convey to you how incredibly grand it is because it simply is impossible to put it into words. It is wonderful - completely - but it is also full of terrible destruction. It's like a coin; there are two sides to it. I tend to pick the glass-half-full attitude, because I believe it will ultimately be okay. There are horrible things that happen in this world, Baby, and this world is heading down an unknown path. However

New Year 2013-14

After spending three full month (near enough) at university the last five days that I've spent in London and Essex have truly felt like nothing - it doesn't even feel like I've really been away. It's odd because prior to going to university I wouldn't have been able to fully comfortably spend five days away from home in a house where I only know one of the residents. On this trip I met some completely lovely and wonderful people. After knowing Tia ( Tia's twitter ) for around two years to finally meet her was really wonderful. Same with Stevie ( Stevie's youtube ), after knowing her for about a year or so to meet her was an utter pleasure and we all had really lovely chats in a closing coffee shop. On top of this I met some of Phil's best friends and attended a really lovely party. What's more, yesterday we explored London and went to the British Library (among other places) and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I honestly don't think I've lau