Skip to main content

Unexpected Art

As I was walking in Lincoln today down this random footpath that I've always wanted to go down but never have I came across a myriad of things. The canal ran along side the path; said canal was littered with ducks, geese, debris and - unfortunately - litter. Every so often I came across a 'Fish here with licence' type sign which more often than not had been graffitied on with a penmanship or a heart whose ink dripped down quite morbidly.

Hugging the canal was a spread of jigsaw houses. You could almost see the development of house after house, developer after developer. Every now and then a person would pass me, sometimes child in hand, others bag. To my right was an industrial sprawl and here lay the most unexpected part of my journey.

After venturing past factory after factory, some more decrepit than others, I arrived at this old, rusting, green-rusty-orange-brown-old factory. It was quite pungent around the area and the wall facing me as I approached had a sprawling of white tags and scribbles. It was much to my surprise as I began walking down the length of the building that it became clear that there seemed to be some sort of mural pasted all the way down.

From where I was walking I came across "LINCOLN" in big, typical graffiti font. Then the garden began; cats followed slugs who were next to gigantic worms emerging. Frog-like-creatures sunbathed whilst glasses-wearing-trees stood stoically, separating one bunch of images to the next. The odd little frog at the base of the building popped up every now an then, another artists version of a small addition.

As I got closer to the building coming to an end the images seemed to grow more wacky. Three mushrooms leered and laughed, one looking a little shocked. Two alcoves (obviously used by some people recently) were elabourately decorated; one seemed to be a view looking over a garden, the foreground a tree with a peaceful cat sitting on it. The other an ominous dark area with a figure above the opening leering down at those who enter.

I feel like this is one of the most beautiful pieces of artwork that I've seen. The exploration of nature in Lincoln showed aspects from the domestic garden to people cycling by the canal. This graffiti had copious amounts of people wandering past it everyday, and even residents looking out over it but the question that springs to mind is this: who really notices this? Who walks by it and doesn't disregard it as a not worth noticing because it's 'graffiti'?

This art, this unexpected art, managed to really brighten my day and clear my head. It always seems to be the finds that are completely unexpected or not really regarded as 'art' are the ones people find the most, I guess, rewarding. I'm not someone who often manages to find fulfilment in art (I'm much more of a words person) but this wall of this random building got to me and stuck in my mind for the whole day.

Comments

  1. I feel as if your writing has improved incredibly, Claire (not that I'm one to critique!). I just feel that the way you are describing things is really lovely. Have you been doing a lot of descriptive/creative writing in your spare time since going to Lincoln?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see this comment until now, sorry Ruth! Thank you so much - that really means a lot. I haven't actually, but it's something I'm wanting to work on. Two of my modules next year are creative writing modules so we'll have to see.
      Once again, thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Librarian and a Penguin

These past couple of days have been very poignant for me. I heard of the passing of Mike Sutton, who worked at Harrogate Library and showed me the ropes as a bright eyed and bushy tailed fifteen year old on work experience. That week's work experience introduced me to the Young Volunteer scheme which I was part of for about five years; I met so many great people through it, had some laughs and grew as a person. Not to mention that over the years Harrogate Library has been a big staple in my life: providing me with books, friends and a place where I did most of my revision back in my A Level years.

Mike and I spoke now and then, in person and every now and then online. No matter how he was feeling, he always greeted me with a smile when I came into the library and asked how I was. I also am so very aware how much he meant to his colleagues, who will miss him incredibly.

The past couple of days I've also been reading a beautiful and sweet little book called The Penguin Lessons b…

The Big Smoke: A Little Pilgrimage

Three weeks ago I began an MA in The Contemporary at the University of Kent, in Canterbury. I was somewhat familiar with the place prior to arriving, having applied here at undergraduate level and attended two open days (one of which was where I met one of my closest friends, Jess), and also visited said friend (who I now live with) (weird.) Nevertheless, the new place with new people and new reading lists have kind of kept me bogged down.

Admittedly, I was so scared and shy to begin with. It all felt very alien to me (even my own shyness, since I'm not usually very shy - or if I am, I manage to hide it well) and after my first seminar I felt very, very out of my depth. I had to sit and breathe and think "can I actually do this?"

Turns out this is completely normal. Not only did most other people feel like this, my first seminar was massively hindered by the fact I was so ill with the infamous Freshers' Flu so I didn't feel very alive and with it. And for some fe…

Today I am: a fire-breathing Queen

As you can probably guess from my lack of posting, Master's degrees are hard. Speaking to my fellow MA buddies, we can't quite pin-point what it is that is making us perpetually stressed but there's just something about them that seems to eat up all of your time ever. And don't even get me started about 'thinking about the future'.

I somehow forgot that one of my favourite things to do to relax is to take a bath. Earlier last term when our shower broke (yay student housing), we were confined to baths - and I vowed that I would take more as soon as the shower was fixed and not just fall back to showering. But alas, I did. 

Baths have always been kind of special to me; forever have they been places of chats, giggles, relaxing, music, and such a treat. For a couple of years I couldn't get out of the bath unassisted because of my back, so to be able to leap forth out of the tub with a gracious gazelle-like leap (I lie) is a privilege. I also used to not be able t…