Skip to main content

Books from Childhood

I have a feeling I shall be making a video about this on my book channel (found here) since I have a book coming to me in the post that will flood my brain with memories. I don't particularly want to say too much about that book right now because I feel it deserves a blog post of it's own. What I will talk about is books that have really impacted my life from when I was really little to more recently.

My Secret Unicorn by Linda Chapman - not only did this book lead me to reading beyond bed time (naughty Claire) but it was the first series that I threw myself into. I'd save up my pocket money for the next book and I'd check regularly on Puffin's site to see when the next one would be released. I think I once read all fifteen books in the series in one day when I was ill. Linda taught me that authors write letters to the people that read their books (I'll never forget the day I came home to a nearly three page letter from her), Linda also taught me to believe in magic and inspired me to write. I adored and devoured these books and I shall be keeping them for my children (if they are male, they shall give them to their children. Haha!) because those stories flooded so much inspiration and magic into me. If I dare say this, these books were my Harry Potter.

Abela by Berlie Doherty - this book changed my life. Abela is a story about a young girl in Africa (Tanzania to be exact, I believe) and a thirteen year old girl called Rosa living in Sheffield. The story tells both their stories in parallel and it touched me so much. I could really relate to Rosa in some ways and to see such parallels tugged at my heart strings. It's such a beautiful, beautiful novel and, once again, Berlie was lovely when I wrote to her.

Gingersnaps by Cathy Cassidy - this book also changed my life. I felt like it was written about me to a certain extent; I read it at a hard time of my life and I could completely and entirely relate to Ginger. The story played out in my head and if I close my eyes I can still see scenes so vividly. I sometimes love to sit down and curl up with this book because it gives girls who don't feel the best about themselves a chance to see a happy ending.

Before I Die by Jennifer Downham - I think I cried for around half an hour after finishing this book. The ending is so incredibly moving and I encourage you to read it if you haven't. I read it whilst I was away and it just made me really grateful and sad and happy at the same time. I sobbed and I sobbed and it was just so well written. It was also the inspiration for my GCSE creative writing piece in English, which (I think) is one of the best things that I've ever managed to write.

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett - Sara Crew showed me how to be greatful. This is a timeless classic that I think everyone, young and old, should read. It's charming and it has so many messages in that I still carry with me now. I try and re-read it every year because it sticks in my heart and I don't want to let go of it.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - perhaps the best book I have ever had the privilege of reading. And that's saying something. TFiOS was the novel that I sat down to read, the night before my Biology AS exam, and read in six hours straight. My heart swelled, it broke, I cried, I smiled, I laughed. This book means more than anyone can think, in so many ways that people could never guess.

This brings me up to now. Obviously there are many more books that have affected me, each one leaves a little print on my heart or mind. Some on my life. I think that it's great to document how books made you feel at certain points of your life so you never let go of them, so you can come back to them in however many years and truly appreciate them.

Keep smiling (lots), reading (lots) and DFTBA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Teens don't read"

Earlier today Maureen Johnson pointed out that the view of "teens don't read" in the UK is deeply entrenched (which is a word that I now love  and had never heard before). As a teenager in the UK, the stigma around reading seems to be - to me - it's "uncool", it's "geeky", there "aren't any good books out there". I think the fact that a lot of teenagers in British schools are exposed to older literature or, perhaps, not that popular literature in lessons and forced into over-analysing and spending countless hours on 'what the author meant'. A point that was raised in this twitter discussion was that people didn't want to be seen reading, or didn't want to be seen reading certain books. It's made me realise that I never   ever ever  see people reading in the older years in my school ( ever ). Perhaps the odd year 7 (12 year old) or year 8 (13 year old) will read, but - from experience - they will probably be

To A Baby

Dear Baby in a cafe, You are growing up in an incredible age. The age of the unknown. We are balancing on a thin line that could topple either way and the future, Baby, is unknown. For the moments that our eyes meet I see a world in your mind. The cogs whirring and your mind constantly processing everything. You see so much and understand so little; but that is changing. It is funny to think of all the new things you're currently learning about. Learning to eat, to drink, to speak, to listen and learn. The world which you observe, Baby, is wonderful. I cannot convey to you how incredibly grand it is because it simply is impossible to put it into words. It is wonderful - completely - but it is also full of terrible destruction. It's like a coin; there are two sides to it. I tend to pick the glass-half-full attitude, because I believe it will ultimately be okay. There are horrible things that happen in this world, Baby, and this world is heading down an unknown path. However

On Family

I think everyone has qualms with their families. There's things we like and, naturally, don't like about the people we spend our time with. We have disagreements and upsets and we are very likely to all have different views on how things should be done but all in all we've kind of been put together because of genes so sometimes have to face the music. After spending time away from family to study at university I've come to appreciate my family more. Not only this but I also see them as people with individual thoughts and ideals... kind of like the moment you realise that your teacher is, holy moly, a person  with a life outside of school . (I know, crazy right?) Through these realisations full of gratitude, and yes slightly bitter reality I have been able to come to terms (well more so than before) with the fact that disagreements happen. People don't see eye to eye. Sometimes people will never understand how your mind works or how other people work. That's j