Skip to main content

France


I write this blogpost in France. Im publishing it now because I've got no Internet access here. This holiday and time away has taught me some things; the books I've read, the time I've spent away from the internet and technology and the things I've thought and talked about have had an effect on me.

Firstly, the books: 'Beauty Queens' has taught me that it's okay to be feminine and be a feminist - its okay to like a guy but it's also okay to always be yourself and stand for what you want to stand for. Libba Bray has also taught me that some of the practises we have are just plain stupid. 'Girl Parts' has also shown me how silly some of our practises are, tout also that you need to be patient about things and let things grow and progress. Oh, and robots are people too. 'Life of Pi' has shown me that you shape yourself, it's okay to be curious and animals are wonderful things (I've not finished it yet). 'The Disenchantments' has taught me to love and appreciate music and adventure that little bit more - and that there's no use in pining in silence. 'The Night Circus' has taught me to believe in magic and to embrace the more interesting and daring sides to life... To push the boat out. Sherman Alexi showed me that its okay to have feelings, it's okay to be funny and perhaps not fit in, and to go to places that scare you if it means you can become better. It's also okay to be scared. 'Alice Biss' reminded me to appreciate my family. 'Sarah's Key' reminded me of the bad things that happen and have happened in this world and how close they are. One of the camps Rosnay spoke of was a handprint on a map away from where we were staying. Markus Zusak showed me that things are far more complex than they seem, sometimes the message isn't always clear and that you should do the right thing. Always.

The Internet and other communication technology are a big part of my life. Here I am, around 600 miles from home and I'm writing a blogpost (on my iPad of all things) to post on the Internet. The first thing we did at each stop was search for wifi - but is it really connecting us to the world or pulling us away from it? Away from the internet I've realised who I miss the most, who I want to talk to and share things with, who I don't so much. I've been alerted to how pointless 'status' and 'walls' are - people need to stop hiding behind a monitor and talk to each other. I do not deny the brilliance of the Internet though - some of the people I miss talking to most are those I've been able to meet due to the Internet (Jess, Gabriella, Amber, Lucy, Joe, Freya, Beth.... The list is long!)  and sometimes those status updates and tweets aren't so pointless. They are lovely, wonderful and meaningful.

I've also been talking a lot about university and such things. I'm going to be seeing more of the country and making big decisions over the next year or so, it's scary! It also happens to be bloody exciting and fun to talk about too though.

I leave you with this image: a family walking around a castle, the castle used in Merlin to be exact, they're admiring the stone. The dad touches it then knocks on it. It's plastic. Friend, sometimes things are definitely not what they seem!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Librarian and a Penguin

These past couple of days have been very poignant for me. I heard of the passing of Mike Sutton, who worked at Harrogate Library and showed me the ropes as a bright eyed and bushy tailed fifteen year old on work experience. That week's work experience introduced me to the Young Volunteer scheme which I was part of for about five years; I met so many great people through it, had some laughs and grew as a person. Not to mention that over the years Harrogate Library has been a big staple in my life: providing me with books, friends and a place where I did most of my revision back in my A Level years.

Mike and I spoke now and then, in person and every now and then online. No matter how he was feeling, he always greeted me with a smile when I came into the library and asked how I was. I also am so very aware how much he meant to his colleagues, who will miss him incredibly.

The past couple of days I've also been reading a beautiful and sweet little book called The Penguin Lessons b…

The Big Smoke: A Little Pilgrimage

Three weeks ago I began an MA in The Contemporary at the University of Kent, in Canterbury. I was somewhat familiar with the place prior to arriving, having applied here at undergraduate level and attended two open days (one of which was where I met one of my closest friends, Jess), and also visited said friend (who I now live with) (weird.) Nevertheless, the new place with new people and new reading lists have kind of kept me bogged down.

Admittedly, I was so scared and shy to begin with. It all felt very alien to me (even my own shyness, since I'm not usually very shy - or if I am, I manage to hide it well) and after my first seminar I felt very, very out of my depth. I had to sit and breathe and think "can I actually do this?"

Turns out this is completely normal. Not only did most other people feel like this, my first seminar was massively hindered by the fact I was so ill with the infamous Freshers' Flu so I didn't feel very alive and with it. And for some fe…

Today I am: a fire-breathing Queen

As you can probably guess from my lack of posting, Master's degrees are hard. Speaking to my fellow MA buddies, we can't quite pin-point what it is that is making us perpetually stressed but there's just something about them that seems to eat up all of your time ever. And don't even get me started about 'thinking about the future'.

I somehow forgot that one of my favourite things to do to relax is to take a bath. Earlier last term when our shower broke (yay student housing), we were confined to baths - and I vowed that I would take more as soon as the shower was fixed and not just fall back to showering. But alas, I did. 

Baths have always been kind of special to me; forever have they been places of chats, giggles, relaxing, music, and such a treat. For a couple of years I couldn't get out of the bath unassisted because of my back, so to be able to leap forth out of the tub with a gracious gazelle-like leap (I lie) is a privilege. I also used to not be able t…