Skip to main content

Life is a Cabaret

It wasn't entirely that long ago that I sat down with my sister and channel hopped, looking aimlessly through what was on TV. It was there we came across the film Cabaret. I had heard of this film, yes, and admittedly I did get a little mixed up between it and Chicago but upon watching it I was absolutely fascinated.

I'm not really one for 'analysing' films but having just come out of watching the televised 1993 version, directed by Sam Mendes (starring: Alan Cumming as Emcee, Jane Horrocks as Sally Bowles and Adam Godley as Cliff) I cannot help but look at the differences between it and the 1972 film directed by Bob Fosse (starring: Joel Grey as Emcee, Liza Minnelli as Sally Bowles and Michael York as Brian). Saying that this is not a comparison! I'm not going to say 'this' is better than 'that' because they are both bloody marvelous. What I am going to do is say what I preferred.

The story of Cabaret is shocking, thought-provoking and just... wow. Upon my first viewing I was left a little star-struck and after finished seeing the broadway version just now I'm still in awe; the downright cleverness of this show is mind-blowing. It is even more intriguing to know that it is all based on The Berlin Novels, non-fictional accounts of Christopher Isherwood's visit to Berlin during the rise of Hitler - even if they were not based on that the controversy of the matters at hand in this show are very cleverly handled.

Cumming as Emcee
I do prefer Alan Cumming's portrayal of Emcee (aka Master of Ceremonies) - he has a wonderful balance of childish mischief and an almost demonic look about him. He also shows the Emcee as more sexual, which I think is rather key to the character. That's not saying that Joel Grey isn't bloody brilliant; his slightly more doll-like Emcee is perhaps more appealing and more subtly cunning that Cumming's. As well as this Mendes has his as an omnipotent presence throughout the show (which is obviously easier in a stage production than a film since it makes more sense) which add a very sly and manipulative side to Cumming's portrayal. If we look directly at the two performances of "Two Ladies", Cumming is much more grotesque and sexual, whereas Grey adds are more innocent and playful aspect to the song whilst still being rather frightening and sly. Both, as I'm sure any actor in the role of the Emcee, portray him to be a manipulative and extremely enigmatic character.

Sally Bowles is a rather interesting character to look at; she's portrayed very differently in the '72 and '93 versions - in the former she is much more of a talented and likable character (I stress character here, not actress!) whereas Horrocks shows her to be much more pretentious and big-headed. I didn't like Sally in the '93 version but her character grew on me and I actually really enjoyed Horrocks's portrayal very much.

The endings of both the versions are powerful (I won't say too much on this matter); I find that my breath is taken away from the fear it creates, both directors choosing to make powerful statements.

All I can really say is go and buy the Cabaret (1972) DVD or watch the televised version on youtube and enjoy the marvel that is Cabaret.

(P.S. My brain is a little dead so I apologise for any incoherentness or lack of detail and what not.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Librarian and a Penguin

These past couple of days have been very poignant for me. I heard of the passing of Mike Sutton, who worked at Harrogate Library and showed me the ropes as a bright eyed and bushy tailed fifteen year old on work experience. That week's work experience introduced me to the Young Volunteer scheme which I was part of for about five years; I met so many great people through it, had some laughs and grew as a person. Not to mention that over the years Harrogate Library has been a big staple in my life: providing me with books, friends and a place where I did most of my revision back in my A Level years.

Mike and I spoke now and then, in person and every now and then online. No matter how he was feeling, he always greeted me with a smile when I came into the library and asked how I was. I also am so very aware how much he meant to his colleagues, who will miss him incredibly.

The past couple of days I've also been reading a beautiful and sweet little book called The Penguin Lessons b…

The Big Smoke: A Little Pilgrimage

Three weeks ago I began an MA in The Contemporary at the University of Kent, in Canterbury. I was somewhat familiar with the place prior to arriving, having applied here at undergraduate level and attended two open days (one of which was where I met one of my closest friends, Jess), and also visited said friend (who I now live with) (weird.) Nevertheless, the new place with new people and new reading lists have kind of kept me bogged down.

Admittedly, I was so scared and shy to begin with. It all felt very alien to me (even my own shyness, since I'm not usually very shy - or if I am, I manage to hide it well) and after my first seminar I felt very, very out of my depth. I had to sit and breathe and think "can I actually do this?"

Turns out this is completely normal. Not only did most other people feel like this, my first seminar was massively hindered by the fact I was so ill with the infamous Freshers' Flu so I didn't feel very alive and with it. And for some fe…

Today I am: a fire-breathing Queen

As you can probably guess from my lack of posting, Master's degrees are hard. Speaking to my fellow MA buddies, we can't quite pin-point what it is that is making us perpetually stressed but there's just something about them that seems to eat up all of your time ever. And don't even get me started about 'thinking about the future'.

I somehow forgot that one of my favourite things to do to relax is to take a bath. Earlier last term when our shower broke (yay student housing), we were confined to baths - and I vowed that I would take more as soon as the shower was fixed and not just fall back to showering. But alas, I did. 

Baths have always been kind of special to me; forever have they been places of chats, giggles, relaxing, music, and such a treat. For a couple of years I couldn't get out of the bath unassisted because of my back, so to be able to leap forth out of the tub with a gracious gazelle-like leap (I lie) is a privilege. I also used to not be able t…