Skip to main content

Harry Potter

As well as the release of the new Potter short story on Pottermore, Thursday 26 June 2014 marked the 17th anniversary of the publication of JK Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. These books have imprinted on a generation of people and I myself, though not entirely or soulfully, include myself in that. Though I didn't read the series until about 2009/2010, Harry Potter has indeed had a profound impact on my life and will continue to do so for years to come; it's only on reflection that I realise the extent of which it has influenced my childhood.

I certainly remember my friends talking about the books, even at year 1/2 their parents had read them to them so they knew what was going on. I also distinctly remember wanting to read them; I bought the first book at my school book fair back in 2003/4 (I think) and the first Harry Potter book I picked up was at my Grandmother's house in - it was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and, though it was the third book, it began to enchant me. I remember watching the films; I'd get them on video as presents, until the third film was released and I got scared so couldn't watch it until I was about twelve or thirteen.

It was then that I really began being touched by the series. Every morning my best friend Rachel and I would play Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on Playstation 2; we would get so engrosed. Then, as summer approached, we would 'play' Harry Potter outside. I'd be Hermione, she'd be Harry and her rabbit Primrose (hopping around the garden) would be Ron. Bouncing on the trampoline we'd fight of Dementors and various other bugs and beasts. We'd 'replenish' ourselves with a transfiguration spell, turning the hedge next to us into a replenishing potion (duh). These times definitely stay with me, and make me feel giddy with excitement that we spent hours playing those games.

From this Rachel and I began to work on a present for our other friend Rachel. We wrote a story (and it was LONG, especially considering it was a world we'd created and was written between homework and coursework pieces, and obviously our games); Rowling's world inspired us to create our own.

When I did get around to reading the books, I was enchanted. Admittedly, the writing was as I'd previously thought - not amazing. I'd definitely read better style. However the story, the world, that characters enchanted me entirely. I still to this day remember waking up at the crack of dawn to sit and read Order of the Phoenix in France, because I simply could not put it down.

I look around me and I see a generation of people who are passionate; passionate about magic, and love and seem to understand what it means to be enthused and enchanted. The books have inspired a generation of readers and lovers and believers. Whether the writing is legendary or not, the story most definitely is.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

P.S. If you're wondering, I'm hufflepuff - always have been & always will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today I am: a fire-breathing Queen

As you can probably guess from my lack of posting, Master's degrees are hard. Speaking to my fellow MA buddies, we can't quite pin-point what it is that is making us perpetually stressed but there's just something about them that seems to eat up all of your time ever. And don't even get me started about 'thinking about the future'.

I somehow forgot that one of my favourite things to do to relax is to take a bath. Earlier last term when our shower broke (yay student housing), we were confined to baths - and I vowed that I would take more as soon as the shower was fixed and not just fall back to showering. But alas, I did. 

Baths have always been kind of special to me; forever have they been places of chats, giggles, relaxing, music, and such a treat. For a couple of years I couldn't get out of the bath unassisted because of my back, so to be able to leap forth out of the tub with a gracious gazelle-like leap (I lie) is a privilege. I also used to not be able t…

A Librarian and a Penguin

These past couple of days have been very poignant for me. I heard of the passing of Mike Sutton, who worked at Harrogate Library and showed me the ropes as a bright eyed and bushy tailed fifteen year old on work experience. That week's work experience introduced me to the Young Volunteer scheme which I was part of for about five years; I met so many great people through it, had some laughs and grew as a person. Not to mention that over the years Harrogate Library has been a big staple in my life: providing me with books, friends and a place where I did most of my revision back in my A Level years.

Mike and I spoke now and then, in person and every now and then online. No matter how he was feeling, he always greeted me with a smile when I came into the library and asked how I was. I also am so very aware how much he meant to his colleagues, who will miss him incredibly.

The past couple of days I've also been reading a beautiful and sweet little book called The Penguin Lessons b…

Feeling stressed? Avobath

My next escapade into the Lush bath-bomb world was the wonderfully named Avobath. Admittedly, I did use this bath-bomb a while ago... weeks ago... and I haven't had time to write up anything until now. Why? Essays. Stressful essays. (Did I mention Master's are tough? No...?)

The avobath is lovely, because it smells fresh (I definitely don't do sugar-sweet smells) and that just intensifies as it hits the warm water. I'd had a particularly rough day when I decided I'd use this one, and it just made the bathroom smell heavenly. Costing only £3.50, too the avobath comes in 25p cheaper than my previous BBOC (bath-bomb of choice) Dragon's Egg.

A little less exciting than my last pick, but nevertheless still heavenly to the nose and skin, the avobath was incredibly moisturising and calming. Just what you need around this busy exam and deadline time!!

I've only actually got two (EEK) months left, including May, in my student house so I need to use all the bathing o…