Skip to main content

Harry Potter

As well as the release of the new Potter short story on Pottermore, Thursday 26 June 2014 marked the 17th anniversary of the publication of JK Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. These books have imprinted on a generation of people and I myself, though not entirely or soulfully, include myself in that. Though I didn't read the series until about 2009/2010, Harry Potter has indeed had a profound impact on my life and will continue to do so for years to come; it's only on reflection that I realise the extent of which it has influenced my childhood.

I certainly remember my friends talking about the books, even at year 1/2 their parents had read them to them so they knew what was going on. I also distinctly remember wanting to read them; I bought the first book at my school book fair back in 2003/4 (I think) and the first Harry Potter book I picked up was at my Grandmother's house in - it was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and, though it was the third book, it began to enchant me. I remember watching the films; I'd get them on video as presents, until the third film was released and I got scared so couldn't watch it until I was about twelve or thirteen.

It was then that I really began being touched by the series. Every morning my best friend Rachel and I would play Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on Playstation 2; we would get so engrosed. Then, as summer approached, we would 'play' Harry Potter outside. I'd be Hermione, she'd be Harry and her rabbit Primrose (hopping around the garden) would be Ron. Bouncing on the trampoline we'd fight of Dementors and various other bugs and beasts. We'd 'replenish' ourselves with a transfiguration spell, turning the hedge next to us into a replenishing potion (duh). These times definitely stay with me, and make me feel giddy with excitement that we spent hours playing those games.

From this Rachel and I began to work on a present for our other friend Rachel. We wrote a story (and it was LONG, especially considering it was a world we'd created and was written between homework and coursework pieces, and obviously our games); Rowling's world inspired us to create our own.

When I did get around to reading the books, I was enchanted. Admittedly, the writing was as I'd previously thought - not amazing. I'd definitely read better style. However the story, the world, that characters enchanted me entirely. I still to this day remember waking up at the crack of dawn to sit and read Order of the Phoenix in France, because I simply could not put it down.

I look around me and I see a generation of people who are passionate; passionate about magic, and love and seem to understand what it means to be enthused and enchanted. The books have inspired a generation of readers and lovers and believers. Whether the writing is legendary or not, the story most definitely is.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

P.S. If you're wondering, I'm hufflepuff - always have been & always will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Teens don't read"

Earlier today Maureen Johnson pointed out that the view of "teens don't read" in the UK is deeply entrenched (which is a word that I now love  and had never heard before). As a teenager in the UK, the stigma around reading seems to be - to me - it's "uncool", it's "geeky", there "aren't any good books out there". I think the fact that a lot of teenagers in British schools are exposed to older literature or, perhaps, not that popular literature in lessons and forced into over-analysing and spending countless hours on 'what the author meant'. A point that was raised in this twitter discussion was that people didn't want to be seen reading, or didn't want to be seen reading certain books. It's made me realise that I never   ever ever  see people reading in the older years in my school ( ever ). Perhaps the odd year 7 (12 year old) or year 8 (13 year old) will read, but - from experience - they will probably be

To A Baby

Dear Baby in a cafe, You are growing up in an incredible age. The age of the unknown. We are balancing on a thin line that could topple either way and the future, Baby, is unknown. For the moments that our eyes meet I see a world in your mind. The cogs whirring and your mind constantly processing everything. You see so much and understand so little; but that is changing. It is funny to think of all the new things you're currently learning about. Learning to eat, to drink, to speak, to listen and learn. The world which you observe, Baby, is wonderful. I cannot convey to you how incredibly grand it is because it simply is impossible to put it into words. It is wonderful - completely - but it is also full of terrible destruction. It's like a coin; there are two sides to it. I tend to pick the glass-half-full attitude, because I believe it will ultimately be okay. There are horrible things that happen in this world, Baby, and this world is heading down an unknown path. However

On Family

I think everyone has qualms with their families. There's things we like and, naturally, don't like about the people we spend our time with. We have disagreements and upsets and we are very likely to all have different views on how things should be done but all in all we've kind of been put together because of genes so sometimes have to face the music. After spending time away from family to study at university I've come to appreciate my family more. Not only this but I also see them as people with individual thoughts and ideals... kind of like the moment you realise that your teacher is, holy moly, a person  with a life outside of school . (I know, crazy right?) Through these realisations full of gratitude, and yes slightly bitter reality I have been able to come to terms (well more so than before) with the fact that disagreements happen. People don't see eye to eye. Sometimes people will never understand how your mind works or how other people work. That's j