Skip to main content

"Antony and Cleopatra" @ The Globe

A year ago I sat my A level English Literature exam whereby I had to write an essay on a Shakespeare play. The play that was chosen by my teachers was Antony and Cleopatra, one of Shakespeare's more (I feel) under-appreciated tragedy's. When my friend Nicky and I decided we'd go to the Globe when I visited her, we saw Anton and Cleo was showing and I got very, very excited.

The thing about reading a play at A level, or GCSE, or at any level of education for that matter - even if you just simply read it for pleasure - is that to some extent you don't end up getting a visual sense of the characters. When one reads the lines of Cleopatra, one doesn't exactly picture how she delivers them, only how she could. One of the main reasons I was so excited to see this production was that Nicky and I had previously had the pleasure of seeing Eve Best as the Duchess of Malfi in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi (Old Vic, 2012) and she had a certain way in which I could see her as Cleopatra.

We purchased our tickets well in advance and though we didn't know how the weather would be we shrugged and bought the groundling tickets since they're cheaper and we're not exactly well off. And yes, the whole of Tuesday 28th May it was pouring it down. However, that did not stop us standing out in the rain, adorned in rainmacs and ponchos and generally getting very wet.

It was one of the strangest experiences of my live because, picture this: standing outside in the middle of London, the floor flooded and the sound of rain drumming on your hood. You're cold. You're wet. But alas you cannot feel these things because of the spectacle in front of you; women and men dancing, incense, rugs, music... a sensory experience. There was no way I was feeling the cold or the rain with what was unfolding in front of me.

That's nothing to say of the acting and the very clever imagery. Eve Best and Phil Daniels (to name a couple) I'll get to but the colour imagery, the colour imagery! Red for Antony's followers, blue to Caesar's and white/gold for Cleopatra's. This in itself a striking mix. Add in the fact that Antony and Enobarbus wore purple, signifying their alliances and relationships with Caesar and you have an impressive display. Never before have I seen such a striking but simple use of colour in a play.

Now, Eve Best was just mind blowing. The way she performed was just... entrancing. As Cleopatra should be. She was intimidating and sweet, and beautiful and powerful... there are just too many words. Most poignant, though, was the deliverance of her soliloquies. The silence, people, THE SILENCE. If you ever imagine the atmosphere a Shakespeare soliloquy can create, multiply it by tonnes and then you've got the atmosphere in The Globe.

Phil Daniels delivered a Enobarbus that differed to how I imagined him. However, this does not detract from his power and commanding of the stage. Particularly his final soliloquy is poignant - I remember reading it in class and it blew my mind, I loved it. The fact that he then took that and made is something I had not previously imagined was brilliant.

Ultimately, I think you will understand, I adored this performance. I found it thrilling, and predominantly a completely new experience; the important part about seeing a Shakespeare play in this environment is that it recreates something, stirs something and completely enchants every single audience member - old and young. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Teens don't read"

Earlier today Maureen Johnson pointed out that the view of "teens don't read" in the UK is deeply entrenched (which is a word that I now love  and had never heard before). As a teenager in the UK, the stigma around reading seems to be - to me - it's "uncool", it's "geeky", there "aren't any good books out there". I think the fact that a lot of teenagers in British schools are exposed to older literature or, perhaps, not that popular literature in lessons and forced into over-analysing and spending countless hours on 'what the author meant'. A point that was raised in this twitter discussion was that people didn't want to be seen reading, or didn't want to be seen reading certain books. It's made me realise that I never   ever ever  see people reading in the older years in my school ( ever ). Perhaps the odd year 7 (12 year old) or year 8 (13 year old) will read, but - from experience - they will probably be

To A Baby

Dear Baby in a cafe, You are growing up in an incredible age. The age of the unknown. We are balancing on a thin line that could topple either way and the future, Baby, is unknown. For the moments that our eyes meet I see a world in your mind. The cogs whirring and your mind constantly processing everything. You see so much and understand so little; but that is changing. It is funny to think of all the new things you're currently learning about. Learning to eat, to drink, to speak, to listen and learn. The world which you observe, Baby, is wonderful. I cannot convey to you how incredibly grand it is because it simply is impossible to put it into words. It is wonderful - completely - but it is also full of terrible destruction. It's like a coin; there are two sides to it. I tend to pick the glass-half-full attitude, because I believe it will ultimately be okay. There are horrible things that happen in this world, Baby, and this world is heading down an unknown path. However

On Family

I think everyone has qualms with their families. There's things we like and, naturally, don't like about the people we spend our time with. We have disagreements and upsets and we are very likely to all have different views on how things should be done but all in all we've kind of been put together because of genes so sometimes have to face the music. After spending time away from family to study at university I've come to appreciate my family more. Not only this but I also see them as people with individual thoughts and ideals... kind of like the moment you realise that your teacher is, holy moly, a person  with a life outside of school . (I know, crazy right?) Through these realisations full of gratitude, and yes slightly bitter reality I have been able to come to terms (well more so than before) with the fact that disagreements happen. People don't see eye to eye. Sometimes people will never understand how your mind works or how other people work. That's j